What is Data Communication And Data Communication Model?
Data communication is a way of exchanging information between two parties i.e transmitter and receiver through the help of communication line called media or channel under certain circumstances known as a protocol.
· Data may be text, video, voice graphics, animation etc
· Data communication system is composed up several hardware and software component.
The effectiveness of data communication system depends on its four fundamental characteristics.
1. 1. Delivery: The system must deliver data to the intended receiver only.
2. 2. Accuracy: the system must deliver the data accurately. The error that is introduced when passed through the channel should be detected and corrected at the receiver.
3. 3. Timeliness: the system must deliver the data in time. this has got high significance in case of real-time scenario.
4. 4. Jitter: jitter refers to the variation in the packet arrival time. It is the uneven delay in delivery of audio and video packets. It results in an uneven quality In the audio and video. Eg: T.V Transmission
Data Communication Model
|Data communication model|
Data communication system consists of the following components
· Source: A source is an origin of message/data that is to be communicated between the sender and receiver .the message may be of text, In general, the natural information source is analog.
· Transmitter: It is capable of transmitting information from source to destination via a communication channel.It can be a computer, telephone, mobile etc.
· Transmission media: this is the path or communication link through which data travels. It may be
I. Wired /Guided media
Example: twisted pair, co-axial cable, optical fiber.
II. Wireless /Unguided media
Example: RF waves, AM, FM, RADAR, etc
While transmission through the channel, channel impairments are introduced that cause error in the data.
Channel impairments may be noise, delay distortion, attenuation etc
· Receiver: it is capable of receiving information that is delivered from a transmitter. The task of a receiver is to demote the modulated signal and send to the destination.
· Protocols: Protocols is the set of standard or rules that govern the data communication system.
It is an agreement between sender and receiver. Data communication system model should undergo different protocols for reliable and effective communication.
Follow us on Facebook: Technicalgh